Everyone is very concerned about mold, especially if the problem is in their own home. When you have a problem like this, you can sometimes smell a mildew scent coming from the walls or you might notice an unusual growth on a wall. What it is important to know here is that no matter where your home is located, mold can still occur if you have certain common plumbing problems. At JCN Plumbing, we truly care about your safety, as mold growth in your property could cause damage to your house and to your health. Here are three problems that can cause mold. Learn what you can do as a homeowner to avoid this problem.
Leaky Pipes in the Wall
Sometimes the issue isn’t something homeowners can detect without getting into their walls. Leaky pipes can cause moisture to build upon the insides of walls, where it is dark, musty, and where mold thrives. Making sure that the piping is water-tight is key to preventing potential water damage and mold that may grow behind your walls. If you think you may have this type of mold, homeowners often don’t notice it until it’s visible. By then, it’s too late.
Leaks Under an Enclosed Sink
If you’re like most people, you store things under your kitchen and bathroom sinks – cleaning supplies, towels or other items you need to keep handy in your kitchen or bath. These items may hide a leak if one occurs under your kitchen or bathroom sink. Inside a closed, dark cabinet, is the perfect place for mold to grow. It’s important to identify any leaks and have them repaired as soon as possible.
A common issue is standing water, when there is a large backup of water in a certain area or when there is an overly moist area. If you have standing water, contact a plumbing professional to discover what is causing the water to pool rather than drain. There are several plumbing problems that may cause water to drain slowly or to pool. A clogged drain or blocked sewer line are two of the most common. Even one occurrence of an over-flowing toilet may allow water inside your floor where mold may grow unseen. If you have experienced a water leak due to a clogged drain or toilet, contact a plumber to be sure the problem is corrected and any potential damage is repaired before mold is able to grow.
After reading all this information, you should also consider the risk of being exposed to mold. This can cause serious damage to your health. Sensitive people who have touched or inhaled mold or mold spores may have allergic reactions such as a runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, watery eyes, skin rash, and itching (dermatitis). Molds can trigger asthma attacks in people who are allergic to molds, causing wheezing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
Not to mention the cost of removing mold. Mold is alive and continuously expanding. The earlier you treat mold the lower the cost will be. Don't hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns. We give estimates and consultations at no cost to you. That's right 100% free Estimates. Call us, we're here to help at (305) 770-6860